The early settlers of North Haven, or the ‘planters’ as they were called, began building their homes here in 1670. Since there was no church building here, the settlers were compelled to go to New Haven for their spiritual nourishment, which meant they were received at the one and only meeting house serving the entire area – the church we now know as Center Church on the Green, in its first building on the New Haven Green. However they traveled to go to church at that time, it was a major effort to go to New Haven and back by horse or boat or walking.
In 1714 the Reverend James Pierpont of New Haven left in his will eight to ten acres of land for his Congregational neighbors to the north, provided they would set their meeting house and burial ground on the land. In 1716 these settlers petitioned the General Assembly of the Church for permission to form their own Ecclesiastical Society of the North Parish of New Haven, today called the North Haven Congregational Church, was granted on November 2, 1716. The first church meetinghouse was built on what is now the Town Green. We currently are in our fifth church building. The Church celebrated its 300th Anniversary in 2016.